Everyone loves a kitchen makeover. One of the most important decisions you can make is deciding whether to use stock or custom cabinets. You’ve been to the stores and perhaps even watched shows or videos on which type is best and you’re still undecided. So, what’s it going to be when it comes to stock vs custom cabinets?
How to Choose: Stock vs Custom Cabinets
Cabinets are cabinets, right? They all look alike? Here are a few features of custom cabinets vs stock cabinets so you can understand the differences and decide whether one is better suited to your needs.
Custom Kitchen Cabinets
Custom kitchen cabinets are designed with you and your lifestyle in mind. These are the cabinets you discuss with a professional kitchen designer. Here are some of the benefits of custom cabinets.
- Designed to fit your space. Most kitchens are similar, but if you are looking for a truly unique design, custom cabinetry is the way to go. Custom cabinets are completely personalized for your individual tastes and dimensions and can be further customized with unique kitchen cabinet accessories.
- Custom cabinets make your dream kitchen come true. Especially if you have a theme in mind, your professional designer will show you ways to be really inspirational with new cabinets. There are many functional things to consider with cabinets besides their appearance.
- Use of materials is up to you. Generally speaking, custom cabinets are of a higher quality than stock cabinets.
- Areas of your kitchen can be custom designed for cabinet use. Your designer will point out areas of your kitchen where you can use cabinetry where you never thought possible. Those tiny corners or odd-shaped places can be custom designed.
Stock Kitchen Cabinets
Stock cabinets are already made. They are the ones you see sitting on the shelves of your favorite home improvement store. Years ago, they left much to be desired, but not anymore. Now they can be just as savvy and good-looking as custom kitchen cabinets. Some benefits include:
- Your costs are likely to be significantly lower using stock kitchen cabinets. If you have only ‘x’ amount of money to spend on a total kitchen redesign, stock cabinets will help out your budget. Finishes on stock cabinets are diverse and attractive.
- If you are a DIY-er, installing stock kitchen cabinets is for you. They come in standard sizes and add much to your re-designed kitchen.
- Stock cabinets come in a wide variety of colors, styles and finishes. You can call a manufacturer to see if they have additional colors available.
- Stock cabinets look great. No longer do you have to think you are settling for second-best. Sometimes the exact cabinetry you need is available off-the-shelf.
A Few Tips on What NOT to Do
Keep in mind, when deciding on custom cabinets, that this means you won’t be taking them home the same day. They need to be designed and manufactured first; then they are yours. If you must have the best, be sure to go with cabinets that will give you all the bells and whistles. Go all out and design to your heart’s content.
Choosing stock vs custom cabinets is really your choice. Now you know the differences, consider your wants and needs and your budget. If you’ve been looking at something that you just know is for you, it can be very rewarding.
Above all, be flexible and look at all your options. You may be pleasantly surprised at what you see, whichever kind of cabinetry you choose.